The beginning of 2015 offers the opportunity to start the year fresh, and for many, this “fresh start” means improving health, diet and exercise habits. We’ve partnered with Eat This, Not That!, the foremost consumer resource for no-diet weight loss and healthy food choices, to identify the most impactful, healthy food swaps and special instructions for some of America’s most popular takeout orders.
With approximately 30,000 restaurants in more than 800 cites, the options are endless on GrubHub. So if you’re not in the mood to order a “healthy” dish, check out these recommended tips for making some of your favorite takeout foods more health-conscious!
1. Pizza – Slice of Cheese Pizza
- EAT THIS: Order thin crust instead of regular crust.
- SAVE: 60 calories and 13 grams of carbohydrates for every slice!
- Overlooked Healthy Option When Ordering Pizza: Ham is one of the best pizza toppings on the menu. It’s lean and loaded with protein.
2. Chinese – Lo Mein
- EAT THIS: Order Vegetable Lo Mein instead of Chicken Lo Mein.
- SAVE: 325 calories, 7.6 grams of fat (1.5 grams saturated), and 257 milligrams sodium. (And utilize GrubHub’s special instruction box to request extra veggies!).
- Overlooked Healthy Option When Ordering Chinese: Kung Pao Chicken. Made with roasted peanuts, dried chilies, and a slew of other vegetables, Kung Pao Chicken can be one of the best entrées on the Chinese menu because the chicken isn’t fried.
3. Japanese – Sushi Rolls
- EAT THIS: Order a plain tuna roll with a side of chili sauce or sriracha instead of a spicy tuna roll.
- SAVE: At least 150 calories, 13 grams of fat and 245 milligrams of sodium per roll. The “spicy” in Spicy Tuna Rolls comes from a dab of mayo mixed with Asian chili sauce.
- Overlooked Healthy Option When Ordering Sushi: Mackerel. Often overlooked for more popular fish like salmon and tuna, mackerel has twice the amount of heart-healthy, inflammation-reducing, cancer-fighting omega-3 fatty acids, making it one of the healthiest fish in the sea.
4. Mexican – Tacos
- EAT THIS: Order tacos with soft corn tortillas instead of hard shell tacos.
- SAVE: 8 grams of fat and 3 grams of saturated fat in just one, three-taco serving.
- Overlooked Healthy Option When Ordering Mexican: Pozole is a delicious broth-based soup built around hominy – a fiber-loaded member of the maize family. It’s packed with chili peppers, which impart antioxidant capsaicins, and pork, which adds high-quality protein.
5. Indian – Chicken Tikka Masala
- EAT THIS: Order your Chicken Tikka Masala with all white meat instead of dark meat.
- SAVE: 50 calories or more per serving. Every calorie makes an impact in a recipe that’s comprised of fat-rich ingredients like ghee, whole milk yogurt and heavy cream.
- Overlooked Healthy Option When Ordering Indian: Tandoori. Made in a clay oven that cooks small, tender slabs of protein, tandoori menu items like kebabs and chicken are some of the leanest items on Indian menus.