Fall (aka pie season) is here. If you’re hankering for a slice but don’t want to break out your apron and rolling pin, fear not: We’ve got you covered! Read our roundup of San Francisco’s best places to pick up a slice and sate your cravings for autumnal baked goods stat. Most of the selections on our list offer take-out only, but we’ve noted the spots that will bring fresh-baked goodness directly to your doorstep. Throw on a sweater, brew yourself some cocoa, and get ready to dig in!
1. Soma Inn Cafe: Deep in the heart of SOMA sits the Soma Inn Cafe, a traditional diner with friendly wait staff, bottomless cups of coffee, and (you guessed it) pie. Order a slice of pumpkin or apple-cinnamon through Seamless and pick up your order when youre ready to chow down.
2. Mission Pie: Housed in what was once a floral shop sits Mission Pie, one of the city’s all-time best pie shops. Top flavors include walnut, Shaker lemon, and apple. You’d be missing out if you don’t top your slice with house-made whipped cream, which is made from Straus Family Creamery organic cream.
3. ‘Wichcraft: Tom Colicchio’s popular New York-based chain also has an outpost in SOMA, which is good news for pie lovers. After you’ve noshed on lighter fare, pick up a pecan mini pie for a late-afternoon snack. Bonus: Place your order through Seamless and skip the long lunchtime lines!
4. Chile Pies & Ice Cream: Ever have green chile apple pie with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream planted on top? No? You’re missing out, for sure. Chile Pies & Ice Cream serves sweet and savory pies, most of which are made with chiles (not surprisingly).
5. Bi-Rite Market: Bi-Rite is one of the top local grocery stores in the Bay Area, and they’re also known for their fabulous selection of baked goods, which are the first thing to disappear at any potluck or dinner party at which they make an appearance. Their lemon sour-cream pie will win over even the most reluctant host.
6. Butter Love Bakeshop: Esa and Josh, founders and owners of Butter Love Bakeshop, have more than 28 years of combined experience in the culinary world, and it shows in every pie they make. Their menu changes monthly, but their September offerings include a harvest grape crisp pie and a plum and fig galette. Also available are pudding pies – the height of decadence – and a subscription to the Pie Social Club (basically a pie-of-the-month club). Could it get any sweeter than that?
7. Biscuits and Blues: Tucked away in Union Square is Biscuits and Blues, your go-to pie place for a post-shopping treat. Try the chocolate pecan pie–you wont be sorry you did.
Did we miss any of your favorites? Share them in the comments!
Image above from Mission Pie via Eric in DUB on Flickr