Sometimes you’re craving a cookie, and there’s just no way around it — you’ve got to have one. If you live in and visiting New York City, then, you’re in luck, because the city is packed with bakeries, restaurants and speciality shops serving up fresh, hot, gourmet and delicious cookies every day. Whether you’re looking for a traditional chocolate chip or something a little more interesting — like a corn cookie – read on; the list will help point you to the best spots in the city to get your cookie fix.
1. Momofuku Milk Bar – With outposts in both Brooklyn and Manhattan, Momofuku Milk Bar is the best place in the city to go if you want a cookie that’s unique. They have a choice of 5-8 flavors, which varies with the season, and people rave about them for their gooeyness and interesting tastes. Try a Compost Cookie – it’s ingredients are just as varied as the name suggests.
2. Levain Bakery – If oatmeal raisin is your thing, check out Levain Bakery, with locations on the upper west side and in harlem. Levain is famous for their oatmeal raisins. They come in small and big sizes — but most likely, with this addictive, buttery decadence, you’ll want to opt for the big.
3. William Greenberg Desserts – Black and White cookies have become a New York classic. If you want the city’s best, head to WIlliam Greenberg, also on the upper east side. This posh bakery serves up the real deal, and not the knock off you can find at coffee shops around the city. You’ll love the ultra moist cookie and the soft crunch of the sweet shell icing.
4. Pip’s Place – Can’t eat gluten but still want a sweet treat? Pip’s Place is just the right place to find a cookie. Try the ginger snap — it has just the right mixture of sweet and spice, as well as crunch and chewiness. You won’t even know these are gluten free.
5. Insomnia Cookies – It seems like these are everywhere now — and for good reason. Insomnia Cookies opens late and stays open late, through the night, so you can have a cookie the minute you want one. Try a warm, gooey chocolate chip one with milk if you really do have insomnia.
6. Peanut Butter & Co. – If you love peanut butter cookies, then Peanut Butter & Co. in Greenwich Village will be paradise for you. This small sandwich shop specializes in everything peanut butter — from sandwiches to baked goods and more. The peanut butter cookies are decadent and chewy and very peanut buttery – you won’t find any better than this in the city.
7. Jacques Torres – Is chocolate your thing? Then you’ll want to have the chocolate chip cookie at Jacques Torres, the chocolatier known for his rich, unrivaled chocolate. The chocolate chip cookie here is serious — it’s been described as a dark chocolate bar surrounded by rich, buttery dough. So, if you need your chocolate fix in in the form of a cookie, you won’t go wrong with a cookie from “Mr. Chocolate” himself.
8. Spot Dessert Bar – This dessert joint on St. Mark’s is serving up a new spin on dessert. It’s sort of a tapas place, where you can pick and choose small bites of sweet treats to share. The cookies here are to die for, too. If you’re a coconut lover, try the chocolate chip coconut cookie. The crunchy texture of the coconut pairs perfectly with the soft chocolate chip dough.
9. Milk & Cookies Bakery – Milk and Cookies bakery is serving up something brave and delicious. It’s the bacon cookie, made with bacon, maple syrup, dried cranberries, dark chocolate, toffee pieces and graham cracker crumbs. This is a cookie you won’t find anywhere else in the world, and one you won’t want to miss in the Big Apple!
Got other favorites you think should be added to this list? Share them in the comments below!