When we hear “Super Bowl Sunday,” we think two things: football and wings. Fine, and maybe pizza. Also nachos. (Not necessarily in that order.) So four things. And, according to a year’s worth of order data, we’re not alone.
Of all the orders placed on Super Bowl Sunday, a whopping 16% of them include wings — making it, by far, the biggest day of the year for wing orders. In fact, wings are 118% more popular on Super Bowl Sunday than throughout the rest of the year.
So, what kind of wings are people ordering most for the big game? To settle a bet, we looked into it:
- “Buffalo” Wings — 43% of wing orders
- “Hot” Wings — 25% of wing orders
- “Mild” Wings — 13% of wing orders
- “Honey” Wings — 8% of wing orders
- “Garlic Parmesan” Wings — 2% of wing orders
And then comes the obvious follow-up question: ranch or bleu cheese for dipping? Ordinarily, we see that ranch is a bit more popular than bleu cheese (55% Ranch to 45% Bleu Cheese), and on Super Bowl Sunday, Ranch still wins — but by a smaller margin (52% Ranch to 48% Bleu Cheese).
Oh, and P.S., boneless wings only account for 11% of wing orders for the big game. Shockingly low, and we’re on board.
So what other scintillating stats did our data scientists turn up from our Super Bowl analysis?
- Pizza is 41% more popular on Super Bowl Sunday
- Nachos are 35% more popular on Super Bowl Sunday
- Chips and Dip are 19% more popular on Super Bowl Sunday
Lastly, if you’re still hungry for more data, let us leave you with our ultimate list, The Top 10 Most-Ordered Dishes on Super Bowl Sunday:
- Cheese Pizza
- French Fries
- Mozzarella Sticks
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Crab Rangoon
- Pad Thai
- Egg Rolls
- Wonton Soup
- Onion Rings